Monday, July 19, 2010

Slow Cooker Wild Mushroom Risotto
















Risotto can be made so easily in the crockpot.  None of that pesky stirring.  I just assembled this, threw it in the crockpot and went out with my husband for coffee.   When we came home we had a delicious creamy risotto that was ready to eat.  This recipe is one I modified from:
Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are

Ingredients:

3 Tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, minced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 1/4 cups arborio rice
2 cups chopped cremini mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped porcini mushrooms (or other wild mushrooms)
3 cups vegetable stock
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt (depending on the saltiness of your stock you may want to add less and then adjust if needed, after cooking)
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
1 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
Freshly ground pepper

Directions

1.) Wash and chop mushrooms (I used a food processor).  Set aside.

2.) In a medium sized skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until fragrant and slightly softened, about one minute.

3.) Transfer the shallots and garlic to a 3.5 - 4 quart slow cooker.  Add the rice, stirring to coat with oil.  Stir in all the mushrooms, stock, wine, thyme and salt.  Cover and cook on high for about 2 hours, until all liquid is absorbed.

4.) About 5 minutes before the risotto is finished, stir in the parmesan and parsley and season with pepper.  Spoon into bowls and serve hot.

Notes

To my surprise, we all liked this.  Both kids ate it, even my son who is a self proclaimed mushroom hater!  I don't think it was my kids' favourite thing ever but they found it edible which was far more than I was expecting.  I enjoyed it quite a bit and will definitely make it again.

It's definitely not much to look at, maybe it would look nicer if I'd left some mushroom pieces larger, but it is good creamy comfort food.

No comments:

Post a Comment