Monday, July 19, 2010

Slow Cooker Boston Brown Bread











Bread in the slow cooker? You bet! It comes out very moist and doesn't heat up the kitchen.

Boston Brown Bread is a slightly sweet, dark and rich quick bread. Don't expect sandwich bread as it isn't that. It is, however, completely delicious.

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups milk (I used skim)
1 1/2 Tbsp cider vinegar (or other vinegar)
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup dark unsulfured molasses

1. Lightly oil or spray a baking pan that fits inside your slow cooker. I just used a corning ware dish, but you can use a coffee can with one end cut off, or a bread pan that fits, or whatever works for you.

2.) In a small mixing bowl or measuring cup, combine the milk and vinegar and set aside.

3.) In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking soda. Mix well. Add the molasses and milk mixture and stir until the batter is just mixed.

4.) Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Place the pan inside the slow cooker (if you have a trivet you can place this inside the slow cooker before the pan. I don't have one and it works fine without it). Cover and cook on high until firm and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out dry, 3.5 - 4 hours. In my crockpot it was 3.5 hours.

5.) Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before slicing. Excellent served warm, with butter. Make a great accompaniment for baked beans. Leftovers are also good spread with cream cheese.

Notes:

All of us loved this. My husband Kevin said he'd made boston brown bread one time many years ago, expecting sandwich bread and he was completely disappointed at the time as it was not what he was expecting (hence my note, above!). This time though, he didn't seem too disappointed - he had seconds the first night and has been enjoying the leftovers.

I have seen various ways of making bread and/or cake (yes, cake!) in the crockpot. Some have a water bath, some have trivets and other pans inserted. Some have you place foil over the bread, and some have you vent the cover.

I didn't do anything with this other than use a different pan inserted into the crockpot. The only reason I did that was because I felt the bread would end up too large and thin if I didn't use a smaller pan inside (I was using a 5.5 quart crockpot). If I used my 3.5 quart crockpot, I may not have used a pan inserted and suspect it would still be fine. My 3.5 quart crockpot had baked beans cooking in it at the time I was making the bread, however. It was a great dinner!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carol Ann! Your bread looks fantastic! I haven't made boston brown bread before, and I don't think I've actually had it. I like that there isn't any yeast involved... I've got some molasses in the cupboard, and I'm due to make a new loaf of gluten free bread (I'm going to cheat and use the bread machine though, lol!). I'll try adding ome cornmeal and molasses---fun! thanks for the idea.
    xoxo steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Stephanie, thank you. :)

    I think it probably would convert very well to gluten free (I followed a gluten free diet for over 20 years).

    Boston Brown Bread actually was traditionally made by steaming it...early settlers baked using their fireplaces and I believe had water in with the bread.

    It may come out fine in a bread cooker and certainly most recipes now you do just bake in the oven, so it should be fine. I thought it was particularly well suited for the crockpot though! :)

    ReplyDelete